If you want to read about the beginning of this adventure, you can go here.
Our Continuing Chicken Mummy Experience...
January 19, 2007 (almost Week 19)
This week, we used:
* 1 pair of disposable gloves per person
* 1-2 paper towels per chicken
* 2 gallon Zip-Loc bags per chicken
* 1 container of salt per chicken
1. We took the chicken out of the bag, wiped the salt out of the cavity and rubbed it off the outside of the chicken into the garbage.
2. We put the chicken in a new bag, filled the cavity of chicken with salt, and poured the rest of the container of salt around the outside of the chicken.
3. We zipped the bag closed, squeezing out as much air as possible, added another outer freezer bag to help keep the smell contained, and moved the salt around to evenly distribute it.
4. We put the chickens on top of our refrigerator until next week (grimace).
The smell wasn't too bad this week, but it isn't quite gone and the chickens are still a little moist. This is our third salt change, so I'm expecting to have to do at least a couple more.
My friend told me that her chicken mummy instructions said to rub the bird with alcohol after washing it the first week. I thought that was a great idea, although it was too late for us to implement it.
To be continued...