I have been going over the booklist for Tapestry of Grace Year 2 Redesigned, and I recognized several titles that are available online for free. TOG Year 2 covers the Fall of Rome (450 AD) to the signing of the American Constitution. These books could be helpful for you if you are studying this time period with another curriculum (or your own). Many of these books are available online through multiple sources. Go here for a previous post listing several sources for online books.
Here are the TOG Y2 books that are available online:
- The Story of the Middle Ages, by Samuel B. Harding (there is also a free audiobook available through Librivox) - approx. 350 - 1500 AD
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages, by John H. Haaren & A. B. Poland - begins with some mythology, then 394 - 1471 AD
- The Story of Europe, by H. E. Marshall - 330 AD - approx. 1580
- Our Island Story, by H. E. Marshall (free audiobook: Part 1, Part 2) - fictional beginning of England to 1485 AD (book goes through 1902)
- Stories of Beowulf Told to the Children, by H. E. Marshall - Anglo-Saxon saga
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs, by John Foxe (NOTE: The edition that TOG recommends includes some updates and modernday persecutions, but you could probably use the original and Internet links for the modern information if you absolutely had to. The new edition looks excellent and is probably well worth the money, although I don't personally own it yet.) - online version is martyrdom of Stephen - approx. 1826 AD
- Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle (or here) - historical fiction set in the early 1400s
- The Awakening of Europe, by M. B. Synge - brief history of the Netherlands, then late 1400s - 1745 AD
- This Country of Ours, by. H. E. Marshall
- By Right of Conquest: With Cortez in Mexico, G. A. Henty - historical fiction, 1595
- Much Ado About Nothing, by William Shakespeare (TOG recommends this one.) -
- Henry V, by William Shakespeare (TOG recommends this one.)
- The Children's Shakespeare, by Edith Nesbit
- The Tempest, by William Shakespeare (TOG recommends this one.)
- The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan (free audiobook)
- The Struggle for Sea Power, by M. B. Synge
- Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift (free audiobook)
- Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself is available as a free e-book at Wowio, but you have to create a free account and give them a nonanonymous e-mail address (not hotmail, yahoo, etc).
Please note that many Tapestry of Grace links on my blog go through my Share & $ave account with Tapestry of Grace. I get credit at the Tapestry Bookshelf for any purchases referred through my links. My Share & $ave code is TOG4jp6 (case sensitive). Anyone who has ordered $300 worth of products from Tapestry of Grace is eligible to sign up for their Share & $ave program, so be sure to remember that if you ever decide to purchase from them!
(use scrollbar on right to read)
Jul. 13, 2007 - Thanks!
Posted by Mimi Rothschild
Thanks so much for posting these resources! I compiled a summer reading list for homeschooling students a few weeks ago. It can be found here.
Have a great weekend!
Jul. 14, 2008 - WOW
Posted by Diane in CA
Thanks for the list of the Year 2 books available online! I am trying to do this year with a budget in mind, I am also trying to get the books for all the levels so I do not have to worry about OOP books etc for the next level up when we get there. I am doing LG, UG/D combined.
Diane in CA